For men like myself who do not spend hours a day at the gym or are constantly on some whacky diet, summer is a real pain in the ass when it comes to getting dressed. For years I have obsessed with techniques to beat the heat but alas, mother nature has always kicked me in the balls.
It is now merely about adaptation. Outside of the occasional visit to the gym or a regular session in the steam room, I hate sweating. There are a handful of gents that for some reason look great in the summer. I just happen not to be one of them.
Here are some summer hygiene tips that have helped me adapt the best I possibly can.
- Cold showers only. Keep the body temp low, especially after working out.
- Body powder a must. It helps absorb some of the sweat before your shirt ends up looking like a mop. It helps, it does not prevent.
- Drink tons of water, especially if you drink tons of booze. You will sweat like hell if you drink the night before and forget to excessively hydrate. No one like the smell of liquor oozing from your pores.
- Always keep a few extra shirts in the office. Even if you do not have a shower in the office, just washing your face and wiping yourself off will suffice. Putting on a fresh shirt will make you feel like new.
When it comes to wardrobe, summer is light, fresh, cool and casually refined.
- When it comes to work, the gent still has to look tip top. Keep the suit, shirt, shoes and socks at the office. Roll in and call that inner super hero and change into your work gear.
- Light weight suits are now a year round must. Layers are essential, so keep everything light.
- White shirts. You can never have enough.
- Cool, cotton pants – basic colours, let the newbies wear their fancy coloured pants. Gents should be more focused on the fit of the pant than the colour.
- Linen, linen and more linen. It is the best fabric for the summer. Of course, I mean great linen, not the cardboard type you find at most stores.
- Enjoy summer, the relaxed pace, a time to slow down. Stressing is unacceptable.