Gents, there is no need to break the bank in order to curate a stylish, comprehensive wardrobe. Style is about being authentic. Far too many men think that great style comes with a great price tag. For years, Madison Avenue has led you to believe that buying designer labels gives you a sense of self-worth. And then you have commissioned driven sales people who are more focused on enlarging their checks rather than enhancing your life.
So, stop looking to magazines for guidance. Remember, magazines only talk about things that are being advertised. Do you really need a label to make you more of a man? Come on now. Let us give you a cheat sheet to get you on your way.
- Go to a vintage store and find some old Levi’s that were made in the USA. Before they farmed out their production to every corner of the globe, Levi’s that were made in the USA were superior to any lame label driven product. Jeans are rebellious, working class wear so why try and fancy them up? Style is about authenticity, especially when it comes to denim. Once you get your vintage jeans, go to a great tailor and have them shaped to your body.
Cost of average pair of vintage jeans: $30.00
Cost of a good tailor to reshape and patch up your jeans: $100.00
Now, for $130.00, you have a pair of one of a kind, truly original, authentic pair of jeans. Can you imagine James Dean in a pair of over stitched, over sized pocket jeans?
- Get a great leather jacket. Here is where you want to invest some serious coin. Buy a leather jacket that makes you feel like you can kick Chuck Norris’ ass. Own it, live it and pair them with your bespoke denim and you now rule the world. Go to ebay.com and find that piece or visit a vintage store. If you really want the exquisite, come visit VKNAGRANI and get the hand made leather moto jacket. Your great, great grandkid will think it is the coolest ever.
- We live in a different world these days. Boundaries are blurred and this allows us to mix and match tailored clothing with sportswear or athletic wear. Joggers with a soft coat, tailored suits with a t-shirt and sneakers. It works so long as the pieces are correct. Your daddy’s old suit jacket ain’t cutting it with your rock star jeans. The goal is to find clothing that can work together.
Here are a few options:
- Vintage jeans, tailored soft coat, crisp white button down shirt and a pair of sneakers. Switch the shirt for a vee neck t-shirt and you have a totally different look. Or add a tie with the dress shirt and switch the sneakers with a cool pair of leather loafers and you have a totally different look.
Vintage jeans: $130.00 (with tailoring)
Tailored sport coat: $995 (VKNAGRANI AVIATOR)
White Shirt: $325 (VKNAGRANI CAPTAIN SHIRT)
Vee Neck: $40 (VKNAGRANI)
Sneakers: $50 (KSWISS, PUMA, TIGER, ADDIDAS)
Leather loafers: 275 (MAGANANI)
Solid colour tie: $175 (VKNAGRANI)
7 PIECES YIELDS MULTIPLE LOOKS. Mix and match and you still look like a million bucks.
- An unconstructed, well fitted suit can easily be used with all the pieces above. Obviously, the shirt and tie, or the vee neck with your suit and sneakers. Understand, the suit has to be sporty, not some stuffy suit you find in most stores. It has to have a relaxed, cool vibe and fit like a pimp. You feel us?